You hear it all the time. Marketing is the key to any successful company, and social media plays a huge part in that.
Beau Blackwell is an insurance litigation attorney practicing out of Miami, Florida. He has adopted the ways of the ever-connected technological world and made social media a part of his marketing strategy. Beau has collected quite the following on Instagram at ~22K followers to date. We sat down with Beau to to discuss the secrets of his success and to see how, if at all, social media has affected his law practice.
Growing up in the age of the Internet, Beau has always used MySpace, Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram for personal reasons. But back in 2004, in the first year of Facebook, he realized just how powerful of a networking tool these platforms were. While at Kansas State University, Beau used Facebook to promote events, parties, and get-togethers on Campus. The first event he ever promoted was a friend’s Halloween party. He didn’t expect his reach to extend to more than a handful of people, but after promoting it on different groups and his own personal friend’s list, the party was a huge success. Not only did Beau meet new people but his eyes were opened to this powerful new tool that facilitated connection and promotion.
To this day, Beau has continued to use social media for personal use, but he has also incorporated it into the marketing strategy for his law practice. When asked what he attributes his large social media following, he said, “My success on social media is likely attributed to the fact that I don’t merely post about the law or legal issues. While I do post about those things, that is very small percentage of my social media. I use social media to share things that I think are interesting, cool, pretty, or important whether it be a photograph of my dogs or the latest insurance law.” The strategy that Beau is using is referred to as the 80/20 rule. This rule says that 80% of your marketing material should be non-promotional content and the other 20% is your time to sell. People like buying from brands they trust. What better way to build trust than giving them an insight to your life outside of the office. If they can connect with you on a more personal level, they are more likely to trust you with their biggest legal concerns.
“80% of your marketing material should be non-promotional content and the other 20% is your time to sell.”
For Beau, Instagram has provided a lot of free advertising and brought in quite a few clients. To any lawyers out there not using social media, he says, “you are making a huge mistake. If you don’t exist on the Internet, you don’t exist”. Even if social media isn’t necessarily where your target audience lives, a simple search of your name will populate your social media accounts, giving potential clients the opportunity to learn a little more about you and your firm outside of what is on your website. (You do have a website, right?)
So, if you’re looking to increase your client load through social media here if what Beau recommends. “Social media is all about connecting with others. Don’t just post pictures, engage with people. Use your social media to allow people to get to know you and when you do post about the law, do it in a way that is engaging and useful to your followers.”
Want to connect with Beau? Find him on Instagram at @MiamiAttorneys.
View this post on Instagram
📣The people are talking about Miami Attorney Beau A Blackwell 🏵 This app is hilarious. @photofunia_app Call/text me at 305-481-9449 #miami #miamibeach #miami🌴 #miamihairstylist #miamihairstylist #miamibraider #miamiwedding #miamiboutique #miamibraids #miamiflorida #miamiswimweek #miaminails #miamimodel #miamilifestyle
LawZam is nationwide attorney network enabling people to purchase online legal consultations on demand. Clients can quickly receive proposals from multiple attorneys, and select a lawyer to consult online by chat or video conference. Our growing network of attorneys includes lawyers in every U.S. state covering a wide spectrum of experience, including business, family law, personal injury, criminal defense, wills and estates, immigration, and many other legal practices. We are committed to increasing public access to lawyers by making legal consultations easy and affordable with innovative technology and design.